View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 05:24 PM

Default showing up early

so for fun I decided to go to bed last night at 8pm, wake up at 4am, and drive an hour to the Wstar to try to pick on the degenerates who had been there all night. I was the only new face in the room until probably 8:15ish.

I found a fairly quiet room filled with mostly young guys who had indeed been there all night and who had varying degrees of blurred vision. The tables tended to run short, and I had three tables break out from underneath me before things stabilized around 9am. I played 1/2 nl and finished up around 3.5 buyins thanks to a couple of deep pocketed donators that I managed to make hands against. Around 9 am I also got a big laugh because the front desk phone started lighting up with wives and girlfriends calling to see where the hell some of their men were at.

compared to going out on the Friday night before I generally found

Pros:
-slightly better drive out, WAY better drive back. On the drive back I was rested and it was daytime as opposed to me being exhausted and it being 3am Saturday with the drunk crowd on the streets.
-ability to table and seat select. Many of the tables were running 5-8 handed, so I had the opportunity to exercise a little seat selection before things stabilized
-food service was available. On a typical Friday night at Wstar you can't get food to save your life. On an early Sat am the 3 member service crew keeps up fine
-chips were quicker. People sitting in or getting stacked were able to have chips in pots very quickly compared to when that happens on a friday and you have to listen to the dealers yell for checks 5 times before a runner shows up.

and of course

-I was the only rested person in the room and was able to make good, clear decisions easily while other were just trying to catch hands or dump stacks and go home. Good stuff.

--

cons:
-players were tighter and more straightforward. I managed to land a couple of big fishies, but I think they were the only two playing my game. Everyone else in the games was bordering on rock/competent. Reminded me of playing at WPEX a little.
-the whole process of sleeping, going, and coming back is extended a bit. I went to bed at 8pm and got back at around 1pm the next day. typically I'll head out around 7pm on a Friday and come back and sleep until 11 or noon the next day. I also ended up taking a nap today, probably because my clock had to make those swings.
-players from bigger games would occasionally sit in while they were waiting for their games to make. You don't see this on a Friday night because those game are already running. These players are pretty good.

--

that's all I got. Anyone else ever try being the only rested one in the room?