View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Ethics of stalling vs. EV

[ QUOTE ]

First, screaming is hardly the same as sitting quietly and taking longer than you'd normally take. Second, I believe it's explicitly illegal to intentionally be disruptive on other player's turns, which moves beyond a questionable tactic into outright rule breaking. You're letting your emotions dictate your responses and consideration on this issue. I was talking about a tactic (angle shoot or not) aimed at creating +EV and how much money would have to be at stake for people to use it. You're going hysterical crying "dispicable" and inventing madmen screaming at the table as somehow an equivalent argument. Maybe you're easy to put on tilt?

Still, somewhere in your frothing at the mouth, you've managed to indicate stalling would be penalized at some point. I'm interested, in a sort of academic way, what that point would be and how it'd be enforced. They could clock me each time from the point it was my turn to act. That'd be fine and reasonable.

Note: Has anyone, ever, been warned about stalling online? I doubt it. What makes you think they're really going to take heavy handed action at a live tournament for being slow? At the least, I'd guess you'd get a warning first.

[/ QUOTE ]

In an online tournament, there isn't anything you can do about it, but this is why online sites have implemented time banks (I don't play online anymore so I don't know how the various sites do it.)

In a live tournament, you would have to stall several times before you even got a warning. But if the purpose of stalling was just to increase the blinds, you're talking about stalling for hours. You'd be penalized much earlier than that. You could get away with stalling a little at the end of a level so that the blind increases hit you in good position, but you'd never be able to stall through an entire level or more.

Honestly, I've heard of players stalling for several reasons, but I've never heard this one.