View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Checking it down

[ QUOTE ]
We consider angling discussion of the hand in progress in an attempt to gain an advantage.
For example:
"I have the flush, you better just fold" is angeling
or
"My hand is huge, I would check if I was you" also angeling
however:
guy not involved in hand "buddy, you should fold, he has a monster" - not permitted

[/ QUOTE ]

Your examples aren't really angling. They are a standard part of poker - i.e. lying/trying to confuse your opponent to gain an advantage while the hand is in play. An example of angleshot would be when the betting is done and one player purposely mis-declares his hand in an attempt to get the winner to muck his cards.

But lets get back to the original topic of this thread. Using your rooms' example of an angle I still don't see how it could be permitted for 2 players to agree to check down in a tournament when there is already another player all in. The all in player needs to be protected because he can not take any more action. Other players in the tourney need to be protected by 2 people colluding together to knock a player out. Some might argue that it is in everyone's best interest to eliminate a player but there can be times when it isn't. I can think of one obvious one - on the bubble of a big money event when the big stacks would rather play hard and take advantage of players just wanting to make the money.