View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: The Well: TOO EAZY!

[ QUOTE ]
How did you go about studying?
Sorry if its a dumb question

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally when I reference studying I am speaking mostly on conversing with someone over IM/MSN and posting/responding to posts in forums. Post hands that interest you, even if you didn't necessarily play it. Attempt to formulate thoughtful responses to others posts, you'll be surprised what you can teach yourself in the process. Analyze what other people write about other posts, you can gain a lot by studying another players' thought processes and use it at the tables. Go through your PT and evaluate your hands. Go through the hands of regulars you play against and look at the way they played big pots they won/lost. See if you can find a tell or a leak there. Players, especially full ring players, tend to play in a systematic fashion that can be absolutely exploited. Bet sizing tells are one of the biggest you'll find at the lower limits. Look at your own hands in PT and ask yourself on every hand what you could have done to win more / lose less. Even if what you would have to do seems -EV re-evaluate to make sure your thinking is clear.

I am adamant about all Poker Books in print being garbage. The people writing them aren't actively involved in the grind more often than not, and they may seem enlightening to a noob but you will gain very little from them that benefits you in the online arena (or most live games for that matter). Keep in mind that just about everyone at a poker table has read some of these books, but hardly any thoroughly read 2p2 posts daily. I am a staunch believer that you can learn the most about this game and your opponents by active forum participation.

Sorry for the novel but I wanted to cover all the bases, which I'm sure I didn't actively do so if you need more clarification or elaboration on something do let me know.