View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Good, Deep, Fantasy/Sci-Fi Series (for Older Readers)

Great thread, I've read most of the more popular series and am always looking for something new.

The Stephen King Dark Tower series is probably my favorite but I've always been a huge fan of his stories. The ending was kind of strange but it definitely elicited a big emotional response so I can't complain (Even if it was, "wtf? Are you kidding me?"). If I don't feel anything at the end then the writer didn't do their job.

The Goodkind series has some interesting storylines and creative ideas but I can't really stand the main character. He's too damn preachy. I'd rather the author start a new series about Zedd in the early days, he's much more interesting.

Robert Jordan's stuff is good but it obviously dragged out way too long. Whole books were put out where basically nothing happened to further the overall plot. Oh well, I was entertained anyway.

George Martin's books are excellent and I impatiently await the next installment. He deals less with typical magic/special powers and more with politics and adult themes, although there are dragons in the story which kind of seem out of place to me. I'll have to reread the last couple before reading the new one when it comes out.

I'm more into the Fantasy than Science Fiction so I can't comment too much about SF. I am currently reading the Dune series and have not been very impressed. I guess I like the magic and adventure stories better. And the background of a barren desert planet doesn't really help with the overall feeling either. Obviously a well written story with excellent creativity but not my cup of tea.