View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: San Francisco goes after trans fats too

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't help but wonder if those who usually favor of heavy-handed coercion do so out of a desire to coerce regardless of the issue. In other words, power-trippers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I think there's only a very small number of people who want power over other people just for the hell of it. I think most people are inherently compassionate and are concerned about others' well being. I couldn't be a libertarian if I didn't believe that.

The difference between the libertarian and the do-gooder nanny statist is in how they think the well-being of others can be best achieved.

The libertarian believes that each individual knows what's best for themselves. The do-gooder believes that other people are either not smart enough, or just ignorant of the facts about trans fat/smoking/whatever. I think the thought process of the do-gooder goes something like this: "these people smoking and eating trans fat don't know how bad it is. I went to college, and I read books, so I know how unhealthy this stuff is. It's up to me to SAVE them from their bad habits. One day they'll thank me..." It's a bit of a hero complex.

Where the do-gooder logic fails is in their assumption that everyone else has the exact same values they do. You may think that eating cookies with partially hydrogenated oil is dumb and not at all worth the pleasure of eating, but maybe other people don't. Maybe some people actually *gasp* like to smoke, and don't care if it gives them a slightly higher chance of getting cancer.

The do-gooders don't wish to gain power, they wish to impose VALUES onto others in a deranged effort to help them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, honestly, I can't say I know the mind of a nanny, whether they're a well-intentioned do-gooder or a sneering contemptuous paternalist or a simple power-tripper. I don't know what motivates someone to ban donuts. I really don't.

natedogg