View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Do you think you could drink a keg in a week?

[ QUOTE ]
RDH,

I thought it was 12oz too, and I learned it in a similar class. I think it's largely dependent on the size of the man, and the amount of enzymes the person has to break it down in their liver.

I'd love it if a doctor from OOT could explain the breakdown of alcohol in the liver with respect to a frequent drinker, and a casual one. Can a damaged liver from an alcoholic still be breaking down alcohol faster then a healthy person?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned that yes an alcoholic's liver gets much better at breaking down alcohol than a normal person's because it becomes accustomed trying to clear alcohol from the blood. Basically it shifts it's focus from cleaning any poison from the blood stream to cleaning alcohol well. Also like a muscle through use it gets bigger.

Obviously eventually there is a point where your liver ceases functioning and you die but a normal alcoholic who isn't in a hospital is much better than you at clearing alcohol.

Interesting side note, you are supposed to be able to feel the your liver by hooking your fingers under your right ribs and taking a deep breath. It should feel somewhat soft kind of like play doh. If it's harder that's a bad sign or a badge of honor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]