View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: a pair of 40/80 bb hands

Hand 2: We have one vote for 3-betting and taking a free card, a couple votes for calling, a vote for betting out instead of checking, and at least one vote for folding.

I think folding is out of the question. We're getting 5.5:1 on an open ender+backdoor flush draw. Unless someone has a Q and a flush draw, we easily have odds to draw, and while Q+flush draw are in the distributions of our opponents, so are a lot of other things.

So the question is, 3-bet for the free card, or just call. After thinking about it, I like calling better. It's possibe we'll get a free card on the turn anyway if the third club comes, and if the third club comes and the sb bets we can just fold. So if a third club comes, we pay nothing on the turn, as opposed to prepaying a bet for the turn on the flop.

Of course, if a nonclub comes, we'll wish we had 3-bet on the flop, unless the sb has a monster and reraised. Generally with a medium-weak draw, I should probably avoid fanciness.

Anyway, I three bet for the free card, took it on the 3 turn (more outs!), and caught a 7 on the river. The sb bet the river, I raised, and he paid me off with a Q. UTG had AK.