View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Thoughts on VP$IP as a function of M during a MTT

Hi All,

I am trying hard to model a theoretically good loosening up factor during a MTT.

I have a strong preference to use Harrington's M as my independent variable.

I believe the majority agree that starting of tight early (= High M above 20) and then loosening your game up as you M decreases below 20 during the MTT isn't way of!

My real challenge is the degree of HOW MUCH to loosening your starting requierement and here I really like to hear some ideas.

Here is my idea:

Assume full table of 9-10 person on average.

Early (M > 20) I like to start of playing my share of the best hands of the table. That would be 1 hand each round or VP$IP = 10% as my base. Say top 5% UTG and top 15% on BTN.

This works great for me, but once your M starts decreasing below 20...downto 10 .. 5 due the the increasing blinds what should be your VP$IP??

One idea is to increase you VP$IP by adding 1/M to you VP$IP. This means increasing your VP$IP by 10% point to 20% with and M of 10 - or equally playing on average 2 hands each round - Top 20% starting hands on average. With an M of 5 the number would increase to 30% VP$IP.

If anyone have some comments, ideas or especially references to something like this, then I would be greatful to know.

The above works ok for me, but it's based on my intuition not an a game theory and math!

Concretely I have an Excel spreasheet doing this to "advice" me on loosening up!

I hope very much for some responds on this.

Best regards
Rama96ab