View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Renouncing US Citizenship

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not relative to other countries, but relative to having true free trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the one wanting to become a citizen of another country as a protest, so it should be pretty important to see how US is doing compared to other countries. I mean you dont want to look stupid and move to a country where you find that the government is even worse than the one you left your home country in protest of.

By all means, be critical of the government as much as you like, but as you see moving to another country as a way to take it a step further then the politics of your potential new home should be something you would like to look into as well.

And US doesnt have free trade, and noone claim they do. They have trade with restrictions and various trade-agreements, which they also have on the immigration policies.

Study different countries and make a list of those you feel satisfy your goals. If the restriction on immigration is a concern then you are basically out of candidates already. If violation of human rights is a concern then you have a very short list as well. If agressive use of military force is a problem then you have to take away quite a few countries. If restriction on the freedom of speech is something you care about then you also have a shortage of possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah fair point that the other country should be better than here and i would be wise not to mess that point up. however, my point about free trade is a sidepoint, simply that people that talk about free trade are huge hypocrites or liars. there is a difference between this and war, war is about actively doing harm to other people. restrictive immigration laws is about NOT HELPING other people out, and that is okay with me (though in this case i think the only people we are hurting is ourselves). also i really disagree that regarding the US and free trade - "noone claim they do".

re: your last paragraph, i personally think war is the worst evil by far by far (although we already great freedom of speech laws). i'm kind of thinking now, i want to do good but the world isn't really set up for that, even if i really want to it is hard for me so maybe that takes away the culpability. what do you think? also what do you think are some good countries to live in?