View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Renouncing US Citizenship

Of course the U.S. is full of hypocricies and completely moronic policies. I disagree with a lot that this country is doing and am very seriously considering never voting again because I pretty much think the electoral process is a sham and a waste of everyone's time.
Yeah, I'm angry about some of the stupid crap and policies and am just plain sick of it so to that extent I'm somewhere approaching fatgirl-lover's position.

That doesn't mean that renouncing one's citizenship just to feel better on some principle is such a hot idea though.

It really is true that the passport is pretty damn valuable. And is also true that if you get into some kind of trouble elsewhere the U.S. will be more likely to help you then a lot of other countries.
The policies of many many other countries are completely idiotic even if they don't have the strength to waltz into an Iraq and start pushing people around. So they screw their own people more than running around screwing-over people outside their country. Not sure that's signficantly better.

Admittedly my views on this have changed in the past few years since dating a girl from Peru who will be extremely happy to finally get her U.S. citizenship in a few years.
It's a big headache trying to get into the U.S. legally but it's still easier than a lot of other countries and for those who are able to stick with it it's the dream of a lifetime.

They hold these Visa lotteries for other countries where they give away a handful of U.S. citizenships. Probably 0.1% or less of those who apply are granted citizenship I'm guessing.
GF had a relative who won and it was tears of joy and big celebrations throughout the whole family because everyone was so happy for her.

It's learning of stuff like this and I guess seeing it through her eyes somewhat that I realize how much I had always taken U.S. citzienship and the opportunities in this country for granted and probably still do although perhaps not quite so much.

I can't even begin to count the number of different ways I think the U.S. sucks. But the benefits of U.S. citizenship are just so huge.