View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Is this play +ev? Very situational button limp

Recently, to some success, I've started button limping in a dead money pot, when everyone else folds and it's back to the button and the blinds. Please remember this is incredibly situational and I realize most money is made from the button and it should generally be raised, but hear me out.

If you have a hand like 8T suited or even something better like TJ suited, a go big or go home hand, I will limp it on the button hoping to invoke a raise from one of the blinds who may have a stronger hand like AK or some sort of mid-range pockets but are out of position on me.

If they don't raise, oh well, it's still generally a dead money hand and a battle for the blinds that I'm still in position for and stand a decent chance of out flopping them.

I will also only do this if the blinds in question have bigger stacks and if they are players capable of making a pay-off.

The reason I limp is because I don't want to raise with my potentially big money hand when I can have position on the blinds in a raised pot where they believe they are ahead since they initiated action on my limp.

In the last few cases I've done this with the marginal/multi-way hands like 8d Td and got a raise out of Ax and up against big stacks.

I've gotten a little lucky in the fact that I've flopped OESD's and the like, but each time got huge river pay offs out of them if they hit also.

I just don't think the bigger pay offs would have happened if I initially raised on the button for the dead blind money and they perhaps fold, or play the hand timidly because I showed aggression preflop.

Is this massively -ev? It's working good so far.