View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: Why I didn\'t raise flop

Hi ftg,

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise flop because if he's stabbing to see if I have AK or AQ as opposed to a big overpair (what he's thinking I must have), I lose him if he's only betting one pair. The last thing he'd think I had was 65, so I was willing to gamble that the turn card wouldn't complete a flush or a boat. Granted, that part of the plan did not work out well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible thinking in deep stack no-limit. When you have a big hand aim for a big pot. Save the bluff-catching for the small pots. I hear what you're saying about the deception thing, but add deception into your game by being aggressive with more worse hands as opposed to being passive with more better hands. (So, for example, in a hand like this you should be raising his "stab" with a wide range of hands.)

As for gambling that the turn wasn't a flush or boat card - you realize there's as many as 20 cards, right? Aside from one of them scaring you out of the nuts, it could also kill your action (as could even more cards like an ace, etc.).

As played, definitely fold the river.

-S