View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: XP or Vista on new laptop?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually going through the incredibly painstaking task of downgrading Vista to XP as we speak just because I hate Vista so much. It's much harder to do on a laptop than a desktop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck, you're going to need it. A close friend bought a nice Toshiba laptop recently, and I took on the nasty task of doing exactly that. It took at least 8 hours since Toshiba doesn't support XP anymore and had no drivers for the unit in question.

It took an amazing amount of work to track down the drivers, ranging from reading obscure forums, to downloading drivers of models with identical pieces, to editing actual .INI files (required for the ATI video driver).

In several cases it was a trial and error process, such as the video driver. For example, I found that I could use the latest ATI Catalyst Control Center, but not the driver, even edited to recognize his chipset, though the motherboard's South Bridge driver worked. I had to go back 3 versions until it accepted and worked the way it should. Eventually, I got it all running but it was far more work than I ever imagined.

So while I'm not saying it's not possible, if you are up against anything like I was: GOOD LUCK!