View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that I'm tempted to ignore everyone's sound advice about researching breed temperament and go buy a dog based on looks. I know this sounds stupid but I just really want a cool looking dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it may be hard, but please don't do this. Shelters are full of dogs that looked cool but were too much for their new owners to handle. There are a lot of cool looking dogs that are probably a good fit for your circumstances, but it just takes a little research.
I have a whole list of dog breeds that I would love to have for various reasons, but so many are not a good fit due to room, size, grooming requirements, not kid friendly (a major one with 2 young children runninng around), energy level, etc., etc.

Try www.petfinder.com

It might be a good start. It will give you information on various shelters in your area, including specific breed rescue shelters. I used it pretty extensively earlier in the year with our new addition.

Oh, don't rule out a puppy yet. Yes, they take some time and effort (There is a really good reason they're cute-so you don't kill them when the little demons have chewed up your best pair of shoes that you forgot to pick up off the floor or is excavating under your house and looks up at you with puppy eyes and a dirt covered face, wagging his/her tail and so very proud...Should I go on? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) but it can be worth it. They will repay you a milion times over by making you laugh and give you undying love and affection. You haven't lived until you've owned a puppy. At least that is what I've told my wife. She has had her doubts at times over the last few months though.
Good Luck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]