View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sidenote on a pet peeve of mine:

The term is such politically correct BS that ignores that
A) Black people come from places other than Africa
B) That if you were born in America, you're an American, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this.
Hyphenated-American. If America goes to war with that country, where would your loyalty lie?

[/ QUOTE ]

obv it would lie w/america but you are missing the point. i'm not disputing my nationality. the "____" in "____"-american takes race and ethnicity into account. yeah i'm american, but i'm also black/african-american whatever you wish to call it. given that i am a minority, merely saying that i am "american" is not a completely accurate classification. we are talking about the effect of different races/cultures within a nation, so it is perfectly legitimate for me to identify myself as being a member of a specific culture.

would it have bothered you had i said "black" instead of "african-american." if not then you have no case b/c african americans are just a subset of black people. if so are you suggesting that the fact that i am black bears no relevance b/c "at the end of the day we're all american"? i really hope not b/c that is just naive. no, it shouldn't "matter" that i'm black, but you do not need to be overly pc to the point where i cannot reference myself as being black/afro-american/etc.

edit: [ QUOTE ]
Black people come from places other than Africa

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm confident that regardless of their current location, black people can be traced back to africa.