View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Marrying a Girl From a Different Culture

[ QUOTE ]

3. I think one thing that was odd for me also was that Koreans come from a really homogenous society and really identify themselves in the context of part-of-Korea versus as individuals. For instance, when the Va. Tech stuff happened, the Koreans around here were all very like, "Oh no! Oh no! He was Korean! People will hate Koreans now!" versus, "He was a lunatic; just happened to be Korean..."

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was a Chinese guy, would they whisper, "Yeah, that's just like Chinese guys! They're all crazy! Maybe your husband too!" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Cuz I know plenty old-country types think exactly like that, not just Asians either.

[ QUOTE ]
edit: Oh, also; a lot of the time I hear Koreans speaking in Korean, it sounds really like, aggressive and forceful and on the cusp of being angry/pissed off. But, its not. That's just the way its inflected, I think. I always ask my wife, "why are you yelling so much with your mom?" and she's like, "huh? was i? i don't think so..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Japanese is pretty famous and made fun of in America for the same thing. See: John Belushi's samurai skits in SNL.

I do suspect it's more than just the language as an isolated thing, though, in the same way French people being so snotty about people speaking French poorly is something I've seen explained very well by a Frenchman once. The French have such incredible pressure put on them to respect their language and speak it well in school and their own lives that when visitors are way far off and don't even seem like they're trying sometimes, the French can't relate to having so little respect for something they themselves have been under so much pressure to perfect. It probably seems pretty outrageous and even contemptuous to them.

Japanese society is so extremely hierarchical, monolithic, and conformist that maybe something similar goes on in their society that is reflected in the gruffness and forcefulness of the way they sometimes speak. Maybe everybody is under such constant pressure to control themselves and direct their actions with such fine care that when they see other people skip the niceties, take advantage, or somehow get out of line, the contrast seems much more like a slap in the face. And maybe some of that willingness to be gruff and short with each other because of even little things seeming way out of line works its way into natural speaking habits, just like it could become a natural habit of thinking and feeling.

Maybe that's why they say a Japanese guy makes a fantastic subordinate, but a horrible boss. When they're on top in a social situation, they can ride you incredibly hard pretty much without regard to how it affects you. FWIW, I have known Korean guys exactly like this. Couldn't possibly be more oblivious if they're over someone, but incredibly solicitous if the relationship is not yet clear or they are not in charge.

Anyway, just some random speculations from a white guy.