View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Really, honestly, how can you believe that old book???

For Splendour and the rest of the new gang of preachers... really, honestly, how can you believe it??? I don't know which parts you believe and which you think are metaphorical, but I mean, REALLY, I just don't see how you can put so much into such an old book--and one which has been rewritten numerous times. Seriously, why??

What corroborating evidence is there?? The BEST evidence I've heard is always shaky at best. You would think that things like a world-covering flood and ten plagues would have managed to be recorded by somebody or left physical evidence somewhere. And what about all the magic tricks and angels going around and so on??? Why not so common any more??? Is there any other record of these events???? All of these eye witnesses written about in the bible---did not a single one of these events make the news for any other scholars or writers of the day???

I can understand and appreciate the literary value of the damned book, it's so ingrained in our culture, but even being able to think of it as true in any sense more than I think of Stephen King books as true seems not just absurd but unjustifiably harmful and stupid.

I'm all ears if the defense is better than: 1) the book says it's true, 2) there's plenty of evidence although you personally cannot cite any, 3) you can't imagine it not being true because you have no imagination or understanding of science, or 4) you think as a whole it's a good thing whether it's true or not.

How do we know Rome existed?? We see the ruins, we find numerous independent written texts about it, we find more evidence which points towards it. Multiple different threads of evidence all point to the same thing. That's how. Can anybody even cite any records which say that Jesus even existed??? (Aside from the book itself...) I mean, somebody claiming to be the son of god surely would have been profiled at some point.

I'm fed up with people claiming things to be true that they just cannot claim. I'm fed up with with public policy and school curriculum's being decided by people who think a magician who turns water into wine is worth basing their lives around. I'm fed up with parents who think that immunizing children against harmful STD's is wrong because it encourages sex--as if somehow sex is wrong, but that's another point.

If you can't legitimately defend yourself under scrutiny, shut the hell up and keep your nonsense in your home and to yourself.

This was more of a rant than anything else, but my point and my questions still stand.