View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: EDF Wedding Planner Guide

We had a Sunday wedding and it worked great. We saved a good amount on the base per-person price for the reception, and used the extra money to pay for some extra amenities we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise -- full open bar, a really good band, etc.

We had a lot of out-of-town guests, and our impression is that it wasn't a huge inconvenience for them. We scheduled the ceremony in the very early afternoon, and the reception began a little earlier than usual, so people who needed to be on the road to get home that night were able to do so.

A couple of general tips that helped us out: I looked at it as the biggest party I'd ever have the chance to throw, and just concentrated on doing whatever we could to make it fun for the guests and for us. It sounds like you have this attitude too, which is great.

We were paid almost the whole bill ourselves, so we didn't feel any obligation to do certain things just because other people told us to. It made things financially tight, but reduced stress tremendously. If you can swing it, I'd highly recommend this approach.

Also, make sure you take some time that day to appreciate and participate in the fun. I've been in wedding parties where everything was (over)scheduled down to the last minute, and it's no fun for anybody. I told all our photographers, etc. that my wife and I would be "untouchable" for two hours during the reception so we could just enjoy our meals, have some drinks with friends, etc.