View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Two Plus Two For Two (Points)

I think there are a number of assumptions that need to be proven in that thread before we take on this endeavor.

We need an exhaustive analysis of the possible "momentum" effects of missing a 2-pt conversion or the "momentum" effects on OT for a team that has scored 2 TDs in a row to tie. Dismissing this because it's just a coach's rationalization is not sufficient. Their decision being irrational doesn't make ours automatically rational.

Also, what are the splits for home and road teams in OT, should home teams assume different winning percentages in the extra period?

There's also the conversion rate. I'm assuming you posted the correct number (otherwise we've really got a problem), but according to another poster the break-even rate is .38, close enough to cause me concern. Suppose that going for 2 more often reduces your conversion rate because you can't use your "favorite" 2 pt play each time in the way that you could if you only do it once or twice the whole season.

I'm all for this if we could prove it right but I think we're a far cry from having done so.