View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: pros tipping dealers

I typically tip 1% - 1% is about the correct amount to tip for the work they are doing. I don't know anyone that tips more. Some tip a max of $1 a pot regardless of size. However, a little more on the big pots helps to keep the dealer on your side if a dispute arises.

I round up to 1% so that it is at least one dollar, but:

1) I do not tip if there is no flop action, or if there is only one flop caller and no turn action (in a limit game that is) - this pot is too small (under 20 - 30) to tip. (NOTE: This is here in LA, where the drop after the flop is heinous, regardless of pot size - so without flop action, the pot is miniscule).

2) I tip extra if the dealer is exceptional and professional. For instance, when they are leaving the table and they have been very sharp, I'll toss em another buck.

3) I DO NOT TIP AT ALL dealers that are rude, surly, unprofessional, incompetent, or that don't pay attention and don't do their jobs.

As an example, last night a dealer was asleep at the wheel - and she dealt the river before action was complete. After that river card was reshuffled, a new river card brought a retarded chaser his runner runner flush,. killing my two pair.

I lost a $152 pot as a result. That dealer (Hong at H.Park) will never see another tip from me, until she pushes 152 winning pots my way.

AB