View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: C-betting illogical according to the gap concept?

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be okay to think that c-bets set up mistakes in later rounds for your opponents? For example, if you have a high c-betting frequency, and everyone knows it, and you hit hard but bet normal, they're likely to reraise you lighter than if you rarely if ever c-betted, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a high c-bet frequency will help to set up this mistake - but c-betting with a super high frequency is likely (depending on the table) a big mistake in its own right.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it seems like another reason to c-bet is neither you nor your opponent are likely to hit, so it's like whomever is first in is more likely to take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the biggest reason to c-bet when you whiff. This said, I've noticed that as I've moved up in limits knowing that your opponent probably missed is a lot better when it looks like you hit. Good players can put 2 and 2 together and will have an idea when a flop missed u. In these cases they won't need to have a hand to call your bet. They will often call with the intent of taking the pot away on the turn. Against this type of opponent it is better to c-bet less, and to be prepared to fire the turn when you do miss (assuming you are out of position).

[ QUOTE ]
I've mostly thought of c-bets, up to this point, as bets you want to make against opponents who have a fold button (not as many of those at lower limits, but that's a good thing). I play in micro limits, so c-bets into stations just don't seem too profitable...but they are when your opponents stick around with you until the later rounds, and they lose their discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be c-betting somewhere between 50 and 80 percent of the time depending on a table. If you see people are not able to lay down weak hands, make a note, stop c-betting them with nothing, and value bet the crap out of them when you do make a hand. If you see people are floating you, c-bet less, and be willing to fire a 2nd barrel much of the time when you do c-bet.

Lucky