Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Default NEW REVIEW

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
ABV=6%

I tried this solely because it was so highly recommended in other beer threads. I do not normally like IPAs but I decided that in order to be well rounded in my beer culture I would have to take one for the team.

Based on looks alone, the bottle design is kind of bleh. Simple green label with the logo and the beer name in standard typeface across. But what we really want is inside the bottle, right?

Upon first smell, one word comes to mind: Hoppy. This is pretty much par for the course for most IPAs, but in particular the 60 minute IPA has a strong smell. I tasted it, gently swirling it around my mouth. I notice a nice "bite" to it, that seems to linger on the back of your tongue for a while. The downfall to this, to me, is after a while the after taste started to seem almost metallic. Like I was sucking on a nickel. It is a bit bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. It is decidedly more mild than other IPAs I have had. Overall, I found more pleasant than I prepared myself for. I would drink it again if someone offered it to me, but I don't think I would load up my own cooler with it. Again, IPAs aren't my first choice in general.

It seems like this is a good beer to have with a mild tasting dish. Maybe a swordfish steak. Definitely not a beer I would chug while eating wings, though.

My Rating:
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] out of 5
GOOD
I liked it a lot upon first taste, but as the bottle wore on, the metallic taste kind of brought it down for me. I would like to try the 90 minute, and see if it suffers the same problem. The IPA lover will no doubt dig this.