View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Mother commits suicide at same spot as her only daughter

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And don't start me on children owing parents. Do children owe to marry someone they don't love because it will make their domineering control-freak parents happy? Do children owe to take up occupations prescribed by parents? Where does it end? People make a lot of choices that make their family unhappy, that's the chances you take when you procreate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only said this twice already, let me say it again. This is my view of what a child owes its parents:

"by fulfilling your obligation to yourself to live well, to find whatever your idea is of happiness and obtain for yourself on your own terms the best life possible given the start your parents have given you, you are also implicitly fulfilling your obligation to your parents. You are making the most of the life they have given you, and allowing them to find happiness in your happiness, and pride at your success"

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this quote is that it assumes that "being alive" is the optimum state for everyone.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not trolling, I don't know what to say. Of course it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trolling at all. I understand that you, personally, do not feel this way -- and the vast majority of us don't -- but there are people for whom life is absolutely miserable. For such unfortunate folks, being alive is not the most desirable state of affairs.

-McGee