View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: checking and betting in the dark

[ QUOTE ]
Hey creed,

My only real memorable experience encountering dark betting was also, perhaps not coincidentally, in the Bellagio 10-20 game. Mike (who may have been the guilty party in your case as well), a middle-aged Russian (?) guy whom I gather is a regular in the game, raised from EP. Mike plays pretty LAG, but reads hands very well. Anyway, I called the raise in position w/ QJs, hu pot, Mike bets the pot in the dark. I wait to see the flop of QJx, w/ two clubs, before pumping it up big on the flop.

Mike mutters something about, "You have QJ? Good, I'll turn a king and bust you," as he tosses in his chips in bunches to call the raise.

Then he checks dark. The turn is the Kc. Oh man. I check behind, Mike grinning at me the whole way. Now, I was playing a pretty solid game that night, and I knew that Mike knew that I was aware he was gonna try to run me over at every possible opportunity.

So now Mike bets $600 in the dark. WTF? $600? The river is a blank. Mike tips the dealer as I ponder a call. I call like a fish, Mike has AcTx . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I got into a fun 4-handed game with Israeli Mike; I think that's your guy. He did occasionally toss out a dark bet.

The guy who was doing a lot of dark betting in my game was O'Neil, who shows up as villain in a lot of Ciaffone books.

The most interesting dark bet came on a river where he had a combo draw on the turn; he led out not certain whether or not he would hit! Of coure he did and the dude had to call.