View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: OOT, something sam brought up

cit is right, there have been a lot of repeat threads lately. i'm never sure what the threshold should be for how recently a thread has been done. sometimes i think, oh, we did this last week, and it turns out it's actually been a few months and i'm just OLD SCHOOL.

i was just rereading the sticky and there was a lot of stuff i felt good about. i think it's overall a good sticky, could probably be shorter, take out some of the introductory crap, whittle it down a bit.

i'm a little ambivalent about articulating the 'niche' of OOT. OOT has for a long time been the sort of niche-less forum, and only recently have we started seeing a number of off-topic forums come into existence for specific demographics. BBV for the kids, Diablo for the grownups or those who like to think they are, The Lounge for... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] awww i won't even do it.

it's a newish thing and i guess i'm saying i don't know exactly how we should or shouldn't respond. in some ways i think the new forums and demographic shifts should move us towards a LESS regulated OOT, because other forums are starting to (successfully, at last) fill the more 'mature' niche. but in other ways i know that OOT will continue to suck more and more if we let people keep posting the same utter dreck.

there's a sort of institutional mindset in OOT because it's got a large pre-existing base of users. makes it hard to spawn the kind of creativity and spontanaiety of BBV or Diablo's forum.

that's about all for now, i got class. just some stuff to chew on.

NT