View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hasn't his departure been a certainty since he started a losing streak against tOSU?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as it pains me to say it, the powers at U of M would never have fired Lloyd. It's tempting to say App State or poor-performance against OSU would have cost him his job at the end of this year even if he wasn't retiring, but that's almost certainly not the case. He would have been the coach as long as he wanted the job.

I shouldn't say it "pains me to say it". Like most Michigan fans, I have a love-hate relationship with Lloyd. Yes, he's hopelessly lost as a coach, hires terrible assistants, and has the program's offensive schemes and play calling mired in the 1950s. But he still recruits reasonably well. And 1997 still counts for something. And he's a nice old guy (to everyone except sideline reporters) and does charity work or something.

I have a hard time hating him, but I also won't defend his coaching acumen, either.

I know Miles is often dumb and tries to call timeouts when the ball changes possession and makes alot of questionable/batshit decisions, but he has a track record of hiring competent assistants. And he loves U of M and apparently really wants the job. So he's my horse unless some unlikely dream candidate hints they want the job.