View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Khan\'s last hand

What do you guys think about the hand that eliminated Hevad Khan from the main event? It was a rather unorthodox play on his part.

When the hand started, Jerry Yang had 63,000,000 to Khan's 9,000,000. With the blinds at 150K-300K, Jerry Yang raised to 1.5 million with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hevad reraised to 6 million from the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], leaving himself just 3.5 million more. After some deliberation, Yang called. Khan then announced all-in in the dark.

Any theories on why Khan would not just shove preflop? It is very rare to bet so much of your stack without betting it all. I doubt he was trying to trick Yang into thinking he had a monster. I'm guessing he assumed his AQ was ahead, in which case, you would think he would be willing to just shove his whole stack and take his chances.

The strangest thing to me is that Yang did not move in preflop, choosing instead just to call the reraise. Why? When the pot is that big and Khan has such a small amount left to bet, you can't fold jacks on any flop. At least, I wouldn't. I see no point in just calling preflop.