Thread: Crossfit FAQ
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Crossfit FAQ

[ QUOTE ]
As for kipping pull-ups, I'm prepared to believe that they have significant empirical evidence to support the position that kipping helps more people gain more strength quicker than dead-hangs and that people with small to mid dead-hang numbers show great improvement in their dead-hang numbers by kipping-- I accept it because of all the chicks doing 15+ kipping pull-ups and all the testimonials from people who started at zero who can now get 20+ kipping and ~10 dead hang. Someone with a high deadhang number probably isn't gonna get any boost from kipping instead requiring specificity, but he won't lose his deadhangs and will be able to crank through workouts with a higher output of power by adding the athletic/gymnastic kip to his arsenal-- as well as take a stepon a progression to various gymnastic movements.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really doesn't prove the improvement in dead hang pullups is due to the kipping, but I'm sure it helps some. Starting from zero, initially all you want to do is get over the bar. If you haven't done pullups in forever, and do a few sets kipping, you'll feel it in your lats the next day so it certainly still works the muscle. But again that's in an untrained (or out of shape) individual.