Thread: Crossfit FAQ
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Crossfit FAQ

J. Brown,

Yeah, I don't believe kipping is a different movement entirely. If I call a cheat curl different from a curl or a push press different from a military press... It doesn't make it so. It makes me retarded.

Their logic for kipping pull-ups can be applied to a wide variety of movements which they don't. I think its kind of asinine to make the argument for one rather than another. On one hand you have a guy doing hang cleans and on the other you have a guy doing full body spasms while looking over an imaginary ledge with a pseudo rocking motion or frog kick.

Muscle ups... I'll go with that. Seems to be solid. I can see some practical use for that. I did try to do a dead hang one once... Learned that I'd probably have to become muscle up master to have a prayer. But that seems a bit more practical for climbing things. Getting out of a lake onto a dock, climbing onto things, etc.

My last comment. If I am not mistaken regular kipping pull up technique has you rock forward and backward... How do this translate to wall climbing. I am am not mistaken, wouldn't the wall block climbing. I don't see why they just don't get a wall and make people climb it for "functionality". To me the functional argument is weak and strained much like the "power output argument".