View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, my personal favorite is someone saying something like this "I was afraid of a possible flush draw making it so I didn't bet the turn."

[/ QUOTE ]

People who have never heard of value and think the only reason to bet is 1) you have the nuts 2) to make people fold

"Why should I bet [or raise]? They're going to call anyway"

[/ QUOTE ]
You know i've gotten into arguments on more than one occasion with good players about this. By good I mean consistant winners playing full time some relying entirely on poker for income. The basic argument is calling a raise or bet on the flop with what is very likely the best hand against a calling station type player on a draw heavy board and waiting for a safe turn card before getting it in. i.e. top two or bottom set on a two tone straight draw board or a flopped flush against certain opponents you can pretty safely say don't have you beat but will call you with the stiff ace or a set

While there are are certain circumstances where this may be the best play (i.e. you know you're still gonna get payed off fully and you can confidenty fold when certain cards hit) but these circumstances are not only rare but require a very strong read.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail here but i guess it really surprises me that so many good players give up so much value here just to reduce varience.