View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Life: A definition

[ QUOTE ]
I think the definitions of 'life' and 'non life' are mostly useless; consider that all matter is made fundamentally of energy... all things are composed of the same material there is nothing unique about 'life' as opposed to 'non life'. I'm not saying you can't make some arbitrary defintion if you want... it just doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could say the same thing about a banana and a lump or plutonium; they are both made of fundamental energy so no difference really. And of course you would be correct, except that the lump of plutonium would not taste as nice as the banana if you eat it but then we just the same stuff as well so it does not matter anyway.

I guess Zeno just wanted to make an arbitrary definition for some reason. Something to do with some article that took his fancy.

Personally I find a strict definition of life not worth the effort, just leave it to ones gut feeling otherwise its too confusing. Stuff like “are all sapient self aware entitles alive?” both yes and no answers can easily get you all muddled up.