View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Mourning someone you didn\'t know - acceptable?

With the anniversary of Princess Di's death coming up - it's got me wondering. Is it okay to mourn the death of a celebrity or someone you didn't know? I worked retail at the time of Princess Di's death, and the assistant manager had to take a week off work because she was so distraught over her death. To me this seemed utterly ridiculous. When she did finally come in, she would frequently be overcome by tears. She was neither British nor (as far as I know) actually a member of the Royal Family.

When Jerry Garcia died I'll admit I was sad. But it was mostly from a selfish point of view. I wouldn't be able to enjoy any new music from him, and at the time it was a really big part of my life (I used to see around 10-15 shows a year). Nonetheless, I still never would've cried or missed work or anything like that.

So Loungers - is it acceptable to openly mourn the death of a celebrity? Does it even make sense to do so? And by mourning I'm talking specifically about crying or missing work or anything else that would impact your daily routine. I can understand being saddened by it, but that's about it. It just seems silly to me.