View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Razz-caution or coward?

[ QUOTE ]
I read in one Razz book that any three-card 7 or better is worth jamming third no matter what your opponent has. I think that's extreme, but it supports the idea that with any three good cards and one opponent, you have as good a chance as anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, that's kind of the point. By jamming you've shown you hold exactly good cards for a pretty small gain in terms of big bets. It's also not going to be terribly hard to play against you on later streets if your hole cards can be limit to sevens or lower.

By calling you're range is much wider than his and you give much needed protection for your crappier hands you hope to suck out or steal with.

Note that I'm thinking specifically about playing against someone fairly early who raises. Against that range it's just not possible to have much of an edge with any hand. If you're against someone with a wider range you can actually get a lot more value.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I wonder what would happen if we presumed my opponent had one brick (9,T,J,Q,K) in the hole with his two good cards?

[/ QUOTE ]You have 2:1 in showdownequity, but your real equity isn't very near that since he's going to fold very quickly when your board is better than his.

I didn't bother to factor it in the simulations above since I didn't think it very likely (I've only played something like hundreds or in the low thousands of razz hands) and that it's a bit bothersome to include in the simulation.

It does seem a little too optimistic to assume that your opponents are going to be playing any two wheel cards with a brick in the hole.