View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Calling Pre-flop? Strongly Consider 3-Betting Instead (NLTRN The

Generally speaking, in every turbo level I've played players have called my 3-bet super light. To exploit this I've used a tighter/stronger range with 3-bets against most players.

In regular speed games I have noticed that I 3-bet a much larger % overall. I think you can attribute this to a longer structure (more time to get better reads on players, more time to exploit them with deeper stacks) and to the fact (imo) that players in regular speed games tend to be a lot tighter and weaker than turbo players.

Often times in low to mid level games it is very hard for a beginning player to make correct plays in 3-bet pots. They first of all have to get a decent read on their opponent's calling %, decide what hands are best to 3-bet, then figure out his postflop play in big pots. Add to this that they are OOP and this is a built up pot and you can see how a solid edge can disappear quickly.

I like to encourage newer players to work on building pots in position, as I feel that is the most important and easiest way to gain a big edge in these games.

Another thing I'd like to point out, is as a whole I've noticed a lot of players that have had very good results in higher buyin games call very light in 3-bet pots. I've had conversations about this with a few other forum members (and pretty solid players) and they agree. If a lot of good players are calling 3-bets too light, then a lot of worse players will probably be doing it, even to a bigger extent.

I think this factors in on the lack of 3-betting, maybe not as much as the structures (turbo vs regular) but I think it helps to explain why you notice players don't 3-bet very often.

I'll put some more thought into this in the next few days as the thread grows and probably post some more, I'm kind of cut short right now.