View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
What is your definition of long enough? Las Vegas is littered with people who lasted 10 years and then washed away. And then you are in your 30's starting from scratch.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least 8-10 years.

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think trying to be a professional poker player (or sports bettor) is an abysmal life choice for someone young since the fall back opportunity disappates. Better to build up some skills and then take a 'gamble' in a 'profession' as tenuous as bettor since if it doesn't work out, it will be easier (but not easy) to get back on the gainful employment train

[/ QUOTE ]

I did get a bunch of university degrees including a law degree. I guess having a LLB does help since if I really needed to I could get a job if I had to.

I don't know how you can claim it is an abysmal life choice. At the end of law school my choice was between keep doing the sports betting or go work on Bay St for a fraction of the income. Working 70-90 hour weeks is abysmal.

Now 7 years out of law school when I compare my net worth to my law school friends I am so far ahead of them yet I have also had a lot more fun.