Default Re: 3-betting ranges

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise: 99+, AJo+, ATs+, KQs.
Coldcall a bunch of others.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be more inclined to threebet ATo (and the like) and coldcall ATs (and the like).

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

i would do the reverse....or at the very least easily 3 bet ATs...whether or not i cold call ...meh, i dont know. i think ATo is a hand you'd like to 3 bet for a few reasons but i think pot size and the ability to raise out the blinds rather than be the first one betting postflop (+the chance it could get capped which is terrible for ATo and not bad for ATs) warrants a not 3bet w/ ATo...i also recommend a not fold with that hand, so that leaves a call.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a reasonable assumption that the pot size cannot be predicted. That is, I don't think you can say three-betting in this spot will lead to a bigger (or smaller) preflop pot.

Pot size therefore cannot enter your decision making. However, number of opponents is predictable (i.e. threebetting is guaranteeing you equal or fewer opponents, colling is guaranteeing equal or more opponents).

Because ATo plays poorly multiway, eliminating opponents should be a chief concern.

Being in position with ATo in a capped pot vs 3 guys who play over half their hands is not a "terrible" spot.

Josh