View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: USB Travel 1GB HD Problems

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If she is still in school she might be able to find a geek in the computer science dept that can fix the connection between the USB plug and the flash memory in the drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to say, as a computer scientist, that many computer scientists don't know squat about fixing computers. My advisor has 2 computers on her desk; you'd think she was a real power-user. In actual fact, on one she's able to print, and on the other she's able to read attachments. (This makes printing attachments especially difficult...)

Dijkstra, a bad-ass computer scientist, said "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, it was late and I couldn't think of the place in a college where the hardware geeks hang out. Probably the Engineering Dept more than the CS dept.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that most CS departments offer a digital logic course. This problem is right up that alley. Back in the day a typical digital logic project would be to build x device and control it using an ancient pc connected via the parallel port. Whoever is in/teaches that class would be a good starting point and might be the most sympathetic to your cause.