View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Paulson Chips contain toxic levels of lead - Associated Press

[ QUOTE ]
Oh [censored]! My toddler is playing with some custom made Paulson chips. I am sure he put them in his mouth at one time or another. Time to lock them up!

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of comment, which has been made a couple of times, is idiotic. Obviously as products containing tons of lead in them get old/get damaged/rub together, lead particles will be loose. That was explored in the abc news vid. I, like others who've played a lot of live poker, tend to handle my chips obsessively while playing. Hopefully, people wash their hands before eating, etc., but obviously the presence of lead dust presents a very real threat for people who are in contact with it for many hours per day. Lead dust can come home on your skin and clothes, too; not just the stray chips you have lying around.

If my comments are missing some important scientific info, someone please correct me, but it's not as simple as "keeping your custom Paulson chips out of your toddler's mouth." What are the odds that other clay chips besides Paulson's contain lead? Are there like 100 different ways that clay chips are made? My gut says probably not.