View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Goodell entertaining idea of having Super Bowl in London

Just echoing the statement in this thread, this is an awful idea. I'm all for making the NFL watched world-wide but bringing the biggest game of the season overseas is a horrendous idea and anyone with a sense of business would understand that.

Here are some reasons why:

For US citizens to go to the game, they need to get a passport. Now I don't know the percentage of U.S. citizens that have one but the number can't be higher than 50% (maybe 60%).

Secondly, as it was said before, the time zone issue. 8pm in london is 3pm for east coast and noon for west coast. Getting a game on for noon-3pm is .. honestly not good for advertising and I'd bet the number of ppl watching would be significantly lower than the other superbowls (even if it was a rematch of Pats/Cowboys who manage 29.1 million people watching last week. This was without the LA market as well).

Third, revenue for the city hosting the superbowl. The 2 weeks before the superbowl is great for business in the city that's holding the superbowl.

Fourth.. Climate. I'm sure the players and fans would much rather play/watch a game in 75 degree weather than 30 degree weather.

If you want to expand the league to other nations, hold something like.. the pro bowl (lol) or a few regular season games there. You can even do it when teams have bye weeks so they travel to the UK within 2 weeks and get prepared.