View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Is it immoral to believe in anecdotal \"answered prayer?\"

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I deny its right, at least its a massive exaggeration. Most people would swap something like a wedding ring for an end to world hunger, hence they care more about world hunger than wedding rings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your counterargument is itself a massive exaggeration. He didn't say that people didn't want to end world hunger, but trading in a wedding ring could probably feed ten children or so for a year. I doubt most people are in a rush to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, most people only care enough to give up a some of what they don't need to survive, but most people will admit that so there's no double standard.

Of course my coumnter-claim is an exaggeration but that's how you deal with exaggerated claims. If we were always willing to give up a non-essential to help 10 starving people then that's the same as giving up everything non-essential - most people wouldn't ever claim they cared enough to do that.

chez