View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: A Conversation With An Ex-Marine

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow Felix, its hard for me to believe you actually think this, being that you are former military officer. I guess you are maybe you are talking more to the small unit level, in which case I tend to agree more with you but once you start getting into the upper level stuff, you are definitely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
The power to punish and the power to reward is what makes the private sector more effcient than the govt. Even with this power, private companies will sometimes grow incompetant, ineffcient, and go bankrupt.

The military has more power to reward/punish performance more than any other govt entity. Therefore they are more effcient than other govt entities. But like private sector organizations, the military is not immune to incompetance. I made no assertions that the military is immune to occasional incompetance.... Also political interference will often cause the military to make ineffcient decisions on weapon systems to keep certain congressman/senators happy...

[/ QUOTE ]

The legal staffs of the various government agencies are both extremely efficient and a great resume builder for private sector jobs. Eg. 5 years as a senior lawyer or actuary in the EP/EO divisions of the IRS or PBGC are tickets to partnership/directorship in the major accounting firm's consulting divisions.