Thread: The Answer - DN
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: The Answer - DN

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel N. is getting a divorce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caught rogering his houseboy, obviously.

Seriously, aren't Christians supposed to have rules about this kind of thing? His post just seems to imply that they're just kind of fed up with each other, so it's time to move on.

I'm not in any way opposed to divorce, there's no kids that they should stay together for, and I'm an atheist myself so what do I know, but this really does seem typical of the modern North American approach to Christianity. Embrace the rules while they suit you, then drop them just as soon as they become inconvenient and start getting in the way of the things that you really want to do.

Reminds me of Newt Gingrich, who dumped his wife for a younger model while she was on her sickbed, dying of cancer. Not that Daniel is doing anything so cruel. Rather, that both of them have been espousing a set of values that they don't appear to genuinely embrace.

[ QUOTE ]

The part I found interesting was that they both had agreed that they had tried their best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, they've only been married for two years. I've had *arguments* with my wife that lasted longer than that.

While I don't believe that people should stay together and be miserable, if you're genuinely committed to a relationship, you stick in there and work at it even when things don't seem to be working. Because the relationship is more important than the other, trivial stuff that's getting in the way.

Daniel's blog is very nice and respectful, but I think it's also somewhat dishonest insofar as I don't believe it's telling us what the real reasons for his divorce are. Now, it's none of our business anyway, and he may not even know himself, but in my experience this 'we've grown apart' business tends to be a euphemism for one of two things:

a.) I want somebody else, or
b.) I hate your guts

Finally, I think it's a little weird discussing someone else's divorce in this way, but if he puts his private business out there for public discussion, it doesn't seem unreasonable to speculate and pontificate.