View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Celtics want Reggie Miller

I think this is a shrewd move by the Celtics. It's basically a freeroll. If Miller can give them 10 - 15 quality minutes per night behind Allen, then that's one key role player they've added. And think about end of games when they need a score to tie or win. The Celts will have Allen, Pierce, KG, and Reggie on the floor at the same time. That's absolutely sick. If it doesn't work out, no big deal -- they're not signing Reggie to a big contract.

Also, I simply don't see how you can keep Reggie out of the HOF. He's the greatest shooter of all time. Sure, Ray Allen may pass him in the career 3 point statistics, but he nor anyone else I've ever seen play has the range that Reggie does. It was not uncommon to see Reggie pull up 4 or 5 feet from behind the 3 pt line and sink shots with guys in his face like it was nothing.

When teams gameplanned against the Pacers, their #1 priority was trying to stop Reggie. The only significant low post threat he ever had on his team was Smits, and unfortunately Smits career was ravaged by injuries. Reggie also never played with an elite or even very good pg who was an excellent penatrator. As a primary result of these 2 factors, he had to work harder than any other superstar SG I've ever seen to get open.

And when you talk about being clutch in big games, the only other SG that you can even mention in the same sentence is Jordan. The 3rd quarter in game 5 vs. the Knicks. The game 1 vs. the Knicks where he scored 8 consecutive points to win the game in a matter of seconds. The shot to beat the Bulls in the conference finals over Jordan and Pippen. Etc., etc.