View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: 5 CD (limit) -- Guidelines for drawing w/garbage in BB?

I'd draw 4 to your ace or king on the first three hands. If you were against only one limper, particularly someone completing from the SB so you are in position, I'd probably draw 2 to the two highest cards. The reason for this is someone who just completes the SB usually has either a weak pair or a draw that they want to take a cheap shot at. If the SB draws 3 and you draw 3 as well, you can either bluff (if you miss) or make a thin value bet (if you pair up or better) when they check to you. If they draw 1, it's usually a draw and if they check you can get a cheap showdown and you'll be surprised at how often Ace-high or King-high will be good. If the SB is a chronic post-draw bluffer you might even be in the uncommon situation where you can use Ace-high as a bluff-catching hand (use this play sparingly). When this works, it will sometimes put the SB on tilt and will generally give you the image of being an "action" player. It's usually good in 5CD for players to think you are looser than you really are.

If you are OOP and fail to improve, you are usually in check/fold territory.

On the 4th hand, go ahead and draw one to your flush. Drawing any other way is likely to result in either a hand with no showdown value or something like a pair of kings or queens that will not stand any action in a multi-way pot. If you make your flush, you are almost always good and if you miss, it's easy to get away from.

The fifth hand I'd just dump all 5. I don't draw to gutshots (except maybe 4 to a broadway straight-the reason being that if you pair a broadway card you have a decent chance to win the hand) because unless you hit the straight you will have to dump the hand to any bet, as it will be foolhardy to call down with TT or worse. Usually you'll pick up 5 more dreadful cards and you just fold, but sometimes miracles happen. I won a huge pot in the big PL 5CD tournament at PokerRoom last spring drawing 5 in this situation and catching a fluke straight on the 5 card draw.