View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Nutrition Questions and Dietary Fads

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the information. I guess I'm pretty skeptical of all these studies. As a child I was made to take my vitamins every day, as well as other nutritional supplements. I did so obediently. As I grew older I became skeptical.

Is it possible people are getting too much vitamin-fortified food? Say I eat breakfast cereal that's been fortified (is that even the right word?), then I eat a sandwich with bread that's been fortified, then I eat a pasta for dinner that's got fortified wheat products...I mean how do we know how much we're ingesting?

As for vitamins, I agree with you that the whole thing seems arbitrary. The amount I may need is certainly not going to be the amount you need. I find that highly doubtful. I think people assume the government is looking out for us where these pills are concerned but I doubt it. A few months ago they did a report on TV about several popular vitamin brands not containing what was claimed on the bottle. I really believe that no one is even testing these products for safety or accuracy.