View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Q7s gets a nibble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think if raising the flop is right, checking the turn is wrong.

I also think the example you're thinking of in SSH involves a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the first point, would you mind explaining why? Villain is a calling station, who I am just about as certain as I can be is on an ace. Why am I betting this turn? I've often found myself mystified by your advice in spots like this. That doesn't mean I'm wrong but it does mean I need you to explain if I'm going to get it.

In the second point, yes, you're right, but it was more the general resemblance that I was thinking about! Same hand, hit the same pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're almost certain he has an Ace, which you say you are, and you're also certain he will never fold an Ace, how can it be right for you to raise with second pair in a 5sb pot with two players left to act behind you?

So what I'm saying is, raising the flop can only be good if he can have something other than an Ace, or if he has an Ace he has to be capable of folding it. If either of those things are true, which they must be in order to make your flop raise correct, then you have to bet the turn also.

If you think your hand is good enough to be raising on the flop with the pot the size it is, which I don't, then you must think your hand is best or you must think the Button is capable of folding something better.

If that's the case, and it has to be because you raised the flop, then you should bet the turn also.