View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Timothy Ferriss and the Four Hour Work Week

I liked this book and changed a couple things I was doing based on its recommendations. The presentation is a little slipshod, and the author clearly works more than 4 hours a week, but whatever.

Here are the changes. I've long been a fan of not wasting time on stuff that isn't fun or productive, so most were minor.

1. I spend less time on the internet. This frees up time. The "information diet" is a strong recommendation imo. Probably it's a half hour a day difference. Previously I avoided almost all tv and print media and still do.

2. I am placing greater emphasis on outsourcing with my current widget project. For example, I was going to write the patent app drafts to save money. Now I'm paying a lawyer to do it all.

3. I have further reduced employees' wasting of my time. People like to "meet" to discuss "issues." When the issues are interpersonal, I find people love to talk and hate to be nice to their significant idiot, so cutting this off has freed up some time.

4. It encouraged following my prior goals of working less on forced tasks and more on interesting projects.

5. I have taken extra days off to do fun stuff.

My life has not changed. Nothing in this book was new to me. Much of this correlates with age and is independent of the book, so take it with a grain of salt.