Thread: Motorcycles
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Motorcycles

[ QUOTE ]

When I ride I always assume I'll be cut off by the car in front of me and that people will be running red lights. And frequently I'm right. Being prepared has, for now, prevented these occurrences from causing trouble for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mat,

I don't ride a street bike but I'm in love with a guy who does. I have an opinion on this issue.

First, what I quoted is probably the most important aspect of riding. If you are of this frame of mind (that you could be cut off by a car) then you will probably be fine. Most accidents are caused by the inexperience of the driver - going too fast on a curve or hitting a rough spot in the road is what kills a lot of young riders.

In the area where I live we've had 4 fatalities in the past year that were not the fault of the cyclist. Just be really careful and especially aware of what's going on all around you. You wouldn't believe how often people say they didn't notice the bike coming up along side them.

That said, I always caution girls not to ride on the back of a motorcycle. I used to do it but I won't anymore unless we are just puttsing around in our subdivision or on our friend's farm. I won't go on the interstate anymore. It's one thing to be the driver in control of the bike, another thing alltogether to be precariously seated on the back of some dude's bike with nothing holding you on and a maniac at the helm. Scary!

btw, my boyfriend is a maniac on a bike. Ever since he was 13 he's lived for riding. It's probably what he's most talented at. He owns something like 7 different kinds of bikes. He's wiped out a few times. Alcohol was involved every single time. Don't go over to your buddy's house and get drunk off your ass and then decide to ride wheelies up and down the highway to show off for them. Don't do that Mat. Just my 0.02.