View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Refusing to play with short stacked players?

It is complicated. Hosting adds that extra factor against which people are going to base their perception of the game.

The players in your game probably already feel like you have an edge on them. My players prefer not to play cash games becasue they think that I'll clean them out. As a host, if all I offered was a cash game no one would come.

They feel that my edge is reduced in a tournament, so they all have a good time. I've been hosting the same group for about 2 years too. They still feel this way because they don't study the game or play nearly as much as I do.

Your game probably also has regular winners and regular losers. The losers come to play and have a fun time, despite always losing. If shortie is a clear winner in your game, then you probably didn't do anything wrong.

If shortie is a clear loser than your request that he put up more money for you to play against him accentuates that perception that not only are you better than him but now you want to take more money than he is willing to lose.

The fact that you were just going to cash out and they asked you to keep playing also factors in. It reduces the effect of your request if shortie is a winner, in which case you get a 1.

If shortie is a loser, it's pretty bad to ask him to risk more money. You get a 6 if he's a loser.